Alaskapeter's Amazing Adventures

A record of the grand adventuring in Alaska and beyond I'm doing after dropping out of a MIT PhD. graduate program in physical oceanography in February 2006.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

journey to Foumban

We spent the day taking a minibus from Kumbo, where we've been the past couple of days to Foumban, in the attempt to make it over to Ngaoundere and take the train back down to Yaounde.

Our guidebook said that the road from Kumbo to Foumban, while rough, was gorgeous. The hotel owner where we stayed last night said we shouldn't go direct to Foumban because the road was rough and there were highway bandits.

He was wrong about the highway bandits, but the road was rough. We got stuck in mud pits about 3 times. The worst of the three times we had to get towed out by a passing beer delivery truck.

The ride for me was made more interesting due to the fact that I had to straddle the stick, and the driver jammed both the stick and his hand into my crotch every time he shifted into second, which was quite often because we were going very slow due to the bad roads. My seat also sat very high, so I had to crane my neck down if I wanted to see out the windows.

That being said, the ride was pretty, and now we're safely in Foumban, wishing we knew French and hoping to make it to Banyo tommorrow!!

4 Comments:

At Wed Nov 14, 12:50:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter, sounds great, wish I was there.
Love, Dad 11/14/07

 
At Wed Nov 14, 04:39:00 PM PST, Blogger Ser said...

Hi Peter,

I'm so glad you are blogging again! Your experiences sound amazing. Post more about funny signs! I love the HIV one. I'm going to use it--not sure when, but I'll find a way.

Love,
Ser

 
At Thu Nov 15, 08:56:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful, Peter. Don't forget your vitamins... :) Love, Mom

 
At Thu Nov 15, 08:57:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops...I didn't mean vitamins, I meant malaria medication. Love,Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home