Alaskapeter's Amazing Adventures

A record of the grand adventuring in Alaska and beyond I'm doing after dropping out of a MIT PhD. graduate program in physical oceanography in February 2006.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Strange things in Cameroon...

One of my favorite things about traveling around here is just the completely random and strange signs and other things we see around here. Some examples:

A HIV prevention sign at our bunkhouse in Buea that read, "What's more dangerous than poison and witchcraft? It's HIV!" Here's a picture:





The "Alaska" popsicles that they sell on the street.

And, while I was emailing in an internet cafe in Bamenda, on the abandoned computer next to mine I read an open email, which, apparently, is part of a Cameroonian monkey export scam to Mexico. The email read: "Thanks for sending the pictures. I live in Veracruz, MEXICO. Where do you live? Are u sure that in one day ill have the monkeys here? Where do we
have to deposit the money?" You can't make this stuff up. I don't know if I prefer that they get their monkeys, or that they get scammed.

Also, the painted warning signs inside the minibuses, including this one:
Isaac was about to vomit, but then I pointed out the sign and he was then able to control himself.

2 Comments:

At Sat Nov 17, 02:57:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! That is soooo funny. I am laughing out loud as I read this.
Mom

 
At Tue Dec 04, 08:01:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha. that's fantastic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home