Alaskapeter's Amazing Adventures

A record of the grand adventuring in Alaska and beyond I'm doing after dropping out of a MIT PhD. graduate program in physical oceanography in February 2006.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Kansas 101

Hey everyone. I'm here at the library in Scott City, Kansas Wednesday morning. Last night I stayed at the "Athleticlub", a gym/fitness center that they let cyclists stay in overnight for $9. It was kind of weird because they just lock you in, and there you are, sleeping by yourself in this big fitness center. They had me sleeping in the lounge/TV room on the couches. It was nice because I was able to shower and relax some. I was tempted to sneak into the pool or hot tub at midnight, but I didn't. No one would have known if I had. When I was getting ready to go to bed, I started getting kind of creeped out. Just me, alone, in the big center, no one else around except the SERIAL KILLER IN THE SHOWER ROOM!!!

I was happy that I got a nice long day yesterday. I avoiding getting started riding today. It's nearly 11, though, so I should get going. Yesterday was in the mid-90s, and it's supposed to get hotter today. Thank goodness for my Camelback. I was just sucking the water down yesterday, going through 100 oz or so every couple of hours.

I'm definitely in Kansas now. It's nice and flat. It's boring, but makes for quick biking. Everyone is really friendly, though. At a rest stop yesterday, two ladies shared some water, a banana, and tomatoes with me.

Since Pueblo, I've now hooked in with the main TransAmerica bike route that several hundred people ride each year. Since there's not much going on in these towns, they really know about and cater to the cyclists, which is nice. There are several cycling-specific hostels and such. It seemed that the Athleticlub I stayed in last night only lets cyclists stay there.

I can't post pictures from this computer, but I'll try getting some up soon. Hopefully I can keep flying through KS, and get to camp on time!

1 Comments:

At Wed May 24, 05:16:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Peter! I'm back in Alaska and having a lonely time without you! Kelly and I went camping last night, but it just wasn't the same... Not as, well, not as smelly. We didn't eat as much either. Those of us in Alaska might need some pictoral eyebrow updates soon.

Give Virginia my love,

Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home