Alaskapeter's Amazing Adventures

A record of the grand adventuring in Alaska and beyond I'm doing after dropping out of a MIT PhD. graduate program in physical oceanography in February 2006.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I've sure "Larned" a lot

Hey everyone. I'm at the library here in Larned. It's 4:00, and I've been eating and taking a break for a couple of hours. I rode 47 this AM. On the way I passed and talked with a couple of college girls from Holland who started in NY a couple of months ago, are following the TransAmerica trail to Oregon, then are making their way down to Los Angeles. It's really cool running into all of these other cyclists. They told me that there are a couple of couples just a little bit ahead of me, so I'm hoping to ride a lot more today and camp in the same town tonight that they're supposedly staying at (I forget the name). Hopefully I can join up with them for a day or two to have some company. If I keep singing these same songs to myself and the cows day after day I'm going to lose it by the time I reach WV.

It's in the 90s again today, but it's not too bad. I'm just slathering on the sunscreen and drinking more water. I'm also shedding as much weight as I can to speed me down the trail. I just sent a 3 lb, 10 oz. box of stuff that I wasn't using ahead of me to camp. It was mostly extra clothes and such. I'm also shedding pounds on myself. I weighed myself the other night at the Athleticlub, and I had lost 10 lbs.! That Wendy's, McDonalds, KFC & Taco Bell is really doing the trick! Speaking of food, last night I made a box of macaroni in the rest stop I was staying in, BUT I added a bunch of pepper jack cheese and summer sausage. The entire pot was probably 2000 calories. It was really good, and I'd like to say that I finished it, but, alas, it was just too much for me. It's the 1st time this trip I haven't been able to finish my plate.

Well, I need to go because I have about 5 hrs to try making 60 miles before it gets dark. Plus, I have to go to the bathroom. I'm starting to feel the Wendy's burgers and Sonic shake I had for lunch...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home